Sunlight of the Spirit

I'm living life one day at time, traveling along in the sunlight of the Spirit. And I don't let anyone get between me and my light...I belong to the most amazing circle of women friends. I know that with them, nothing is impossible.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Life, continued

One of the things I was told when I first got sober was how important it would be to take care of myself and take care of my sobriety. Because life would continue to happen, even though I’d stopped drinking. It’s a good thing they forewarned me. And boy, were they right. Just to recap: I’m going through a divorce, my youngest son has gone through some major problems and is working very hard to change his life and turn things around, my oldest son is getting married, and I’ve had some health problems which required surgery. And that’s all within the last few months. There’s more, but those are the major points. If I had not continued to do all the things I was taught early in my recovery, I would be getting very drunk right now instead of recalling all the things I’m grateful for.

I am so very grateful today for:

My sobriety. I’m as grateful as I know how to be for my sobriety. Without it, I would not have been in a position to help my son. And I haven’t done much. It’s been the members of this truly amazing fellowship who have picked him up and been carrying him along. And now he has a chance.

My quiet peaceful home. My safe place. I no longer have to worry about drunken rages, people angry about all kinds of slights, both real and imagined, paranoia, and downright hostility. It’s just me and my pug dog. The worst he ever behaves is to occasionally bark at imagined burglars. Bless his little heart.

My friends, both in and out of the program. I am blessed to know some of the finest most caring people on the face of this wonderful planet.

My health. I’m back on my feet and returning to work next week. I miss working and seeing my friends. I’m going to have a tough time getting back into the routine, but I’ll survive.

My HP. Thank you for always taking care of me.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:02 AM, Blogger Tab said…

    This is so true for so many Tracie.
    It is posts like this one that remind us all how important it is to first deal with our issues at hand before we can make any kind of a positive difference in a loved ones life.I wish more people would learn to deal with themselves better so to enrich not only thier lives but the lives of loved ones too.Your son is so lucky you got with the program! What a bonus for him to have a sober role model willing to stand by him through his sobriety challenges..touching!
    I am happy to hear you are feeling stronger and ready to get back to work, the routine will catch up to you again in no time I am sure:)
    You have had so many challenges from the universe its sounds like Tracie, guess that is why you are so strong and loving today !!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing ~

     
  • At 2:35 PM, Blogger NMAMFQLMSH said…

    When life is throwing me too many things one of the hardest things for me to do is not freak out about it. I too firmly believe that if it weren't for AA and what I have learned I would of been out drinking a long time ago.
    Living this thing we call life on its terms can sure suck somethings but you have a great attitude that I admire.
    I see you,
    JJ

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Scott W said…

    You will enjoy returning to work and your routine I am sure, but be sure to not overdue things. First things first, and that means protecting your health as well as your sobriety. Maybe we will see you and Lex at Lambda soon!

     
  • At 6:50 AM, Blogger Lex-Sunshine said…

    Hey - Happy Birthday to you!!!! For any one who reads this and doesn't know - today (June 23) is Tracie's belly button birthday!!! : )

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Tab said…

    Hey Tracie ,
    Have a great weekend!
    Say Hi to Lex for me :)
    Take Care.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Tab said…

    Hey...I just read Lex's comment.
    ((Happy Belly Button Birthday!!))
    May all your wishes come true and may there be an extra piece of cake for you too...! All best my friend!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home