Sunlight of the Spirit

I'm living life one day at time, traveling along in the sunlight of the Spirit. And I don't let anyone get between me and my light...I belong to the most amazing circle of women friends. I know that with them, nothing is impossible.

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Counting Blessings

I had one of those moments today when I realized just how very lucky I am. I've been at home, recovering from surgery, for the past few days. I'm really not used to it, and have probably pushed my luck a little bit. I've overdone it a couple of times and just been totally wiped out as a result. But I was pretty rested today when a very dear friend called to tell me about another good friend who is suffering from cancer. He's back in the hospital, and not doing so well. My good friend came by to pick me up so we could go and give our friend Steve his 5 year chip. He would have gotten it at his home group tonight, but it was real clear he wouldn't be going. Because Steve is in critical care, we could only spend a few minutes with him. But I got to be there when my friend, who is also his sponsor, handed him his chip, which he'd bought especially for the occasion. It was so awe inpsiring to be allowed to be a part of something like that. Steve's an amazing guy who never asks why me. He has an incredible relationship with his HP, and a deep faith that everything is going just exactly as it should. So we all cried a little. His wife, who I just adore and who is just an amazing woman, and his very sweet daughter were there at the hospital and we got to sit and visit with them for a while, too. I don't know. I guess it all made me realize that even though I've had some stuff going on, with my divorce and my health and my youngest kiddo, my life is really very good. Oh, did I mention we also have a wedding coming up in a few weeks? My oldest son is getting married. And it really is a joyous, wonderful thing. I'm so lucky to know that I have a God who loves me. I have my health, and I have two boys who, though they've had their struggles, are precious children of God in their own right. And Lex, who is as much my family as the boys and who enriches my life each and every day she's a part of it. I have sisters who love me, and friends who have shown me in the notes, phone calls, and assistance while I'm healing how much they care. I am just about the luckiest person on earth. I am just surrounded by love. Or, as my sweet pea, Lex, refers to it, just drowning in a river of grace. My friend Jeanna, who seems more of a sister of the soul than just friend, has lifted me up and carried me this last week. And she has a family of her own, but has dropped everything to help me get through this. Her grandmother had a heart attack last night, so she and her family are in my prayers. She is such a precious, precious person.

So that's how I'm feeling tonight. So very blessed.

Today I am grateful for:

Steve and Linda and the many ways they've made my life better. God bless them and keep them.

My kids. Lee, Michael and Lex. They are my heart and soul. And my little Pugdog. He's pretty precious, too.

Sisters, big and little and my many nieces and nephews.

AA and all my ever growing recovery community. I haven't been to a meeting in almost two weeks. But by hanging out in cyberspace with all my online friends, I'm still getting what I need. God bless the Sobriety Society. And tomorrow a friend is picking me up for my first meeting in a bit and I'm so excited I can't stand it!

My HP.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:21 PM, Blogger Tab said…

    What a beautiful selfless post:)

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    what a wonderful post... prayers for Steve, his family... for you and a speedy recovery... cute pugsly!

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Blogger Scott W said…

    We'll meet one day after you have healed from the surgery. Maybe you and Lex can come visit us at Lambda. You won't find anything like it anywhere.

    Prayers for all those you mentioned. We get this beautiful new life, as a bonus to being sober.

    Take care. I don't know what part of town you're in, but I think you are close to Montrose. Anyway, if there is anything I can do please shout.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home