Sunlight of the Spirit

I'm living life one day at time, traveling along in the sunlight of the Spirit. And I don't let anyone get between me and my light...I belong to the most amazing circle of women friends. I know that with them, nothing is impossible.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Grateful to be Me

I'm so grateful to be me today. I got a call late last night from a good friend. I've known her and her family since I was a teenager. They ARE family to me and I love them with all my heart. She lost her daughter in a horrible car wreck about 18 months ago. Like most of us (and by us, I mean alcoholics), she's a wonderful person. But her using has nearly destroyed her family. She's struggled and struggled. She called late last night absolutely hysterical. Her 21 year old nephew had put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. He survived - pointed it to the side so it exited through his cheek, but still. And I've just been heartsick for the whole family. His grandparents are just devasted. His mom and dad even more so. His cousin, who is probably his best friend in the whole world is stunned and can hardly understand it. He was hanging out with us this last Sunday watching us play ball with a sober league. He's had his own battle with drugs and alcohol, both of which were involved. All I could do is pray with and for them. And for him. Bless Pee Wee for all the talking and all the listening.

Whew. I've been stressing about my little problems, and then something like this happens and puts it all in perspective for me.

Today I am grateful for:

Not wanting to die anymore. I now wake up every morning just grateful to be. 'Nuf said.

6 Comments:

  • At 6:32 PM, Blogger Mary Christine said…

    Oh wow. The destruction is just unending.

     
  • At 7:03 PM, Blogger Tracie said…

    Like my own family, the destruction in theirs spans generations. It's heartbreaking.

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Blogger psychbaby said…

    Oh man Tracie. Poor family. I too, am extremely grateful that I now have the will to live.

     
  • At 5:11 AM, Blogger Alexis said…

    I'm grateful I don't want to die today too. And SUPER grateful you don't want to die. What would my sobriety be without you? Much less colorful that's for sure!

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Tab said…

    This is a powerful post today Tracie.I love what you are grateful for and share it.
    As for the Oscars, was that a snooze o-rama or what? what ever happen to the showmanship?
    Dolly Parten and the dumb pimp song?the rushing of the winners speaches..was it just me?
    UGH,I did however ,
    love Uma's dress!

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Tracie said…

    Yep, Tab, it was a definite snooze-fest. I think the dumb pimp song just about did it for me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home