Sunlight of the Spirit

I'm living life one day at time, traveling along in the sunlight of the Spirit. And I don't let anyone get between me and my light...I belong to the most amazing circle of women friends. I know that with them, nothing is impossible.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Walking Slowly

I heard something in a meeting on Sunday that struck me and I've been thinking about it ever since. This lovely young woman shared about her struggles with some of the painful issues in her life and then shared about what a privilege it is to be a part of AA and how grateful she is for some of the lessons she's learned. She talked about her grandparents, who are elderly and frail, and how she used to get so frustrated at how slowly they walked. Today, she said, she embraces walking slowly. How amazing is that? I need to remember both to walk slowly and enjoy life, and to embrace the ability to walk slowly. What a lovely thought.

I got my little toes stepped on earlier today by someone I love very much. I'm wondering why it bothers me so much, and why I let little things like this turn an otherwise lovely day upside down for me. I still allow others so much control over my emotions. It's like I hand it to them on a platter. I have to give myself a little credit for having made some progress, though. At least I won't sit and stew over it. I wrote it down, gave it to God, and now will let it go.

Speaking of letting go, last night I made a conscious effort (and now I'm committing it to writing) to let go and let God have my youngest son. I've been locked in a battle of wills with him for ages. Even though I know how well that usually works, I just haven't been able to let it go. As usual, it had to get to the point of causing me enough pain to need to do something about it. So I'm letting go and taking the leap of faith. I now understand why it's called a leap. Kind of feels like jumping off a tall building. But that's okay. I've learned to let go and let God take care of things. And I know He will.

Today I am grateful for:

The wonderful women in my life. I've been sent candy, valentine cards, flowers and e-greetings. Between my sisters and my friends, I'm simply overwhelmed.

My son Lee, who has the most amazing sense of humor, and a truly kind heart. And who else could I buy Larry the Cable Guy Valentine's boxers for?

A job that I truly love. I get to do some of the coolest stuff, and they pay me for it! And I work for and with some fantastic people who are committed to improving the lives of other people.

My health. I am surrounded daily by people who struggle to live every single day. Wow. I am overcome with gratitude.

Pickles. Gotta love 'em. Because I'm one of them, and I'm finally learning to love me, and by extension those around me. So today I'm grateful for pickles.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM, Blogger Tab said…

    what a cool post!
    Happy Valentines day ~
    Thanks for sharing
    Tab

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger Rex said…

    Sounds like a good day. Happy Love Day!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home